Services We Offer
Ground Resistance/Continuity Testing
Lightning Protection Quotes (free estimates)
Rope Access Needs
Site Survey/Visual Inspections
Range of Experience
Agricultural (barns, silos, etc. )
Commercial or Residential
Military (we have clearance!)
A Letter From Our President
Smokestack Lightning, Inc. has been active in the design and installation of lightning protection systems since 1993.
Smokestack Lightning provides the most advanced, thoroughly effective Underwriters Laboratories approved system. Whether it is a copper or aluminum installation, we are prepared to use the most economical, yet thoroughly effective system. Detailed shop drawings showing all parts of the installed system are part of our professional service.
We offer protection for apartments, barns, churches, distilleries, factories, farms, grain elevators, homes, hospitals, laboratories, lighthouses, lumber yards, machine shops, monuments, museums, office buildings, ordinance plants, schools, sewer treatment plants, smokestacks, trees, warehouses, yacht yards; and any other structures needing protection.
- Smokestack Lightning is listed by Underwriters Laboratories as a Master Label Lightning Protection Installer.
- Smokestack Lightning is a proud member of the Lightning Protection Institute, Master Designer/Installer #1415 and the United Lightning Protection Association.
- Smokestack Lightning is a member of National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA), a member of the National Electrical Testing Association, and a member of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors.
- Massachusetts Construction Supervisors’ License #022368, Massachusetts Registered Home Improvement Contractor #109477.
- New Hampshire Lightning Protection Installer, License #LR0707001. Rhode Island licensed Lightning Protection Contractor/Installer.
- Listed, Dunn & Bradstreet, since 1978, #780282588.
- Registered, CCR, Department of Defense. U.S. General Services Agency (GSA) Clearance through 2011. Nav/Sea/CIA Clearance.
Systems installed by Smokestack Lightning will meet the approval of Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., United States Bureau of Standards, National Fire Protection Association, Lightning Protection Institute, American Institute of Architects; and the National Electric Code.
Call us for further information, with no obligation.
William Simpson, Master Installer/Designer
William J. Simpson, Founder and Owner
Bill started the company in 1993 following a couple decades in the chimney sweeping business. Customers kept asking him to repair damaged lightning rods. He didn’t have any luck trying to find a lightning protection company to help his customers. So he did some research, took some classes, joined all of the national lightning protection groups; and started a company. Smokestack Lightning was born.
William R. Simpson, President
Bill Simpson (Bill’s son) started with the company following his graduation from Colby College in 2002. Since that time they’ve expanded the company: Bill got his master’s degree in business administration, and is involved in all aspects of Smokestack Lightning, from sales to installation. Bill is one of two LPI Master Installer/Designers on the team.
Susan Kozak, Office & Sales Manager
Susan started with Smokestack Lightning as a part-time bookkeeper and is now the office and sales manager. She is responsible for commercial estimating and keeping the office running. She is a listed journeyman of lightning protection certified by the Lightning Protection Institute (LPI).
Aaron Desroches, Project Manager
One of two LPI Master Installer/Designers in the state of Massachusetts (the other is Bill R). He is a level I rope access technician; he has completed training in OSHA 30, CPR/First Aid, and is comfortable working at high elevations. Aaron has managed projects from small to large throughout New England.